End of support for Dwolla's v1 API

(Spencer Hunter) #1

Dwolla Developer Community,

Starting today, Dwolla will no longer provide minor bug fixes or feature enhancements related to supporting the v1 API or the v1 SDKs.

Don’t worry! End of support does not mean end of life. Existing applications built on our v1 API will continue to operate.

If your application uses or is being built on our v1 API, we encourage to you migrate to our v2 API.
The benefits of working with our v2 APIs are:

• Available dedicated support
  • White label functionality
  • Event-driven notifications
  • New supported SDKs
  • Simple, intuitive, and robust API that offers an improved developer experience

For details on what’s changed and how-to migrate to our v2 API, reference our “Migrate to v2” guide or reply back on this forum topic. Thank you for building software on Dwolla’s APIs!

(Spencer Hunter) #2

(Tomer S) #3

Does this affect any users of the ‘Pay through Dwolla’ buttons?

(Spencer Hunter) #4

Good question! No. This message applies primarily to developers/businesses who have integrated with our v1 API directly. For staying up to date on other Dwolla products (Dwolla Button, Form builder, etc.), stay tuned on our blog and forum.

(Tomer S) #5

Great! Thanks for the response.

(Jon Renaut) #6

Since you’ve removed scheduled transactions in the API, does that mean you’re going to remove it on the website, too? Doesn’t make sense to me that you’d have it in one place but not the other.

(Spencer Hunter) #7

As an API first company, we build functionality into our APIs first and then consume our own APIs for our customers to use (Masspay, scheduled payments, etc.). The v1 API isn’t going away in the short term, we’re simply ending support as it relates to changing/adding functionality to it. From a Product standpoint, if there is demand from our customers for having scheduled transactions in the latest v2 API, then we’ll likely build it for our customers to use.

(PJ Caraher) #8

Spencer:

I have an application that is built on top of the v1 API and looked at migrating to the v2 API. I unfortunately discovered that authentication model in v2 prevents me from migration.

Here are the details:

The Dwolla calls for my application all live within a webservice. My mobile applications call this webservice which then performs dwolla calls. Using the v1 API, I have been able to create an access token and my webservice only requires the following line:
dwollaswagger.configuration.access_token = TOKEN

I then create a client, using the dwollaswagger.ApiClient(URL) and, after creating the client, use that client to create instances of CustomersAPI, TransfersApi and FundingsourcesApi.

While reviewing the v2 API documentation, I was not able to discern how to achieve the similar.

Is it possible to create a v2 API webservice that can function in this manner?

Thanks.

(PJ Caraher) #9

Spencer:

My apologies for posting and then answering my own question. I just re-read the v2 documentation and came across what I needed in the SDK Support -> DwollaV2 Python section.

I do still have one question; does my webservice need to fetch a new api_token via the client.Auth.client() call for every time it accesses Dwolla v2? Or, can the instance of my webservice (a Python app) maintain a reference to this token?

Thanks.

PJ

(Cory Anderson) #10

(Cory Anderson) #11

(Cory Anderson) #12