Instufficent funds

(Marco Zirino) #1

I’ve just started doing user to user transfers with live money, and I’m getting “Insufficient Funds” even though the senders funding source is well above the amount being transferred. How can I get help identifying the exact cause? How do I refer to this transaction if I talk to my bank?

Here’s the POST/response with access tokens/pin mangled:

[2017-01-17 1:02:04.165803] [info] https://www.dwolla.com/oauth/rest/transactions/send
POST /oauth/rest/transactions/send HTTP/1.1
Content-Length: 122
User-Agent: GuzzleHttp/6.2.1 curl/7.35.0 PHP/5.5.9-1ubuntu4.20
Content-Type: application/json
Host: www.dwolla.com
{“oauth_token”:“4d5PEG5prnMIzBrQZbLHAk234323sdfasdfasfdf9bCodqVcp”,“pin”:7335,“destinationId”:“812-843-0531”,“amount”:20}

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2017 01:02:04 GMT
Content-Type: application/json; charset=utf-8
Content-Length: 79
Connection: keep-alive
01:02:03 GMT; path=/; domain=.dwolla.com; HttpOnly
Cache-Control: private
Strict-Transport-Security: max-age=31536000
X-Content-Type-Options: nosniff
X-XSS-Protection: 1; mode=block
Server: cloudflare-nginx
CF-RAY: 3225e1289b5a25af-ORD
{“Success”:false,“Message”:“Insufficient funds.”,“Response”:null,"_links":null}

(Marco Zirino) #2

Called Chase Bank, and they say there’s nothing wrong with the account, that it’s adequately funded and ACH transfers should work.

According to documentation at:

The transaction may fail due to an “information request”. However, I find no notices of a verification request inside the senders account. So, really no options at this point except contact Dwolla.

I assume my customers will be in a similar situation.

(Spencer Hunter) #3

@Marco_Zirino, Our v1 API requires you to explicitly tell us what funding source the user wishes to send money from. If you do not provide a unique funding source id via the fundsSource request parameter then it will default to sending money from the Dwolla balance. The insufficient funds error indicates that the user does not have enough money in their balance to cover the $20 transaction.

(Marco Zirino) #4

Ok, thanks a lot. I’ll give it a try. Given that this was working in the sandbox without specifying a funding source, and the fact that the v1 API send() method signature doesn’t specify a funding source, and the response contains no fundingSourceID, I assumed I was doing it right.