Recurring payments

(Michael Schultz) #1

We’ve been using the offsite gateway (https://developers.dwolla.com/dev/pages/gateway.html#submit-directly) to allow our customers to pay us. We’d like to do the same thing with recurring payments. Meaning, we’d like to pass info about the recurring payment (frequency, amount, date, etc…) with an http form POST, just as we pass the one-time payment info right now.
I don’t see a way to do this. Instead, the only way I see is the OAuth method which requires us to ask our users for an absurd level of permission (send|fundingsources|scheduled) which would essentially give us permission to send ourselves any amount of money, any time from their bank account. What sane user would allow this?
In the offsite gateway method that we currently use for one-time payments, the user is presented with exact, specific info. about the transaction that they’re approving. Is there a way to do the same thing for a recurring payment?
Thank you,
-michael

(Spencer Hunter) #2

Hi @Michael_Schultz, Recurring payments in the Off-site Gateway is something that we hope to support sometime in the future, however it isn’t on our short-term Product roadmap. In the meantime, you are correct that the only integration option available for recurring outside of dwolla.com is through implementing OAuth within your application. With OAuth, you can request as much or as little permissions as you want from the user depending on what you are looking to accomplish. If interested in seeing what an OAuth + scheduled/recurring payments integration could look like within your application, I’d recommend checking out this sample app which demos recurring payment functionality.

(Michael Schultz) #3

Thanks Spencer. Sorry to hear that.
Regarding ‘scheduled’: why do i need this? Once i have ‘send’ authorization, can’t i simply initiate a ‘send’ (on whatever schedule i want) by using the refresh_token to get a new access_token right before each new ‘send’? Wouldn’t that give me the functionality of ‘scheduled’?

(Spencer Hunter) #4

You are absolutely free to implement your own scheduler that kicks off payments on a specified date and then calls the Transfers API. Keep in mind that you must adhere to the developer TOS, specifically section 4.4 titled “Requirements for one-time scheduled and recurring payments”

(Cory Anderson) #5

(Cory Anderson) #6

(Cory Anderson) #7