Testing MassPay in Sandbox

(Tim Cheadle) #1

I’m trying to set up a Dwolla Transfer account integration with a client of ours. We’re using the mailto: destination to send payments to users, and I’d like to test those emails to see what they look like and what the UX flow us for our users to sign up and claim their funds.

I’ve set up a Sandbox account and I’m using the API (via the dwolla_v2 ruby gem) to send the funds. I can see the transfers in the sandbox, but I have no idea how to actually process them. They’re just sitting in the “pending” state, even after I click the “Process bank transfers” button in the sandbox dashboard, as well as when I POST /sandbox-simulations

How do I get these transfers to process? One is even from a Dwolla balance source, so shouldn’t it go through?

How do I get the sandbox to send me an email so I can see what our customers will see?

(Ben Milne) #2

Thanks, @timcheadle

I wouldn’t expect after you click process there would be no change.

Can you post the link to the ruby gem you’re using?

cc @jared @stephen @spencer @Jackovin @jameseliason

(Tim Cheadle) #3

AFAIK it’s the official gem: https://github.com/Dwolla/dwolla-v2-ruby

(Ben Milne) #4

Noted. @stephen has been committing in there recently it looks like. Digging in…

(Tim Cheadle) #5

For what it’s worth, the sandbox-simulations endpoint seems to do something, but my sandbox transfers still show up as pending:

[1] pry(main)> token.post "sandbox-simulations"
=> #<DwollaV2::Response status=200 headers={"date"=>"Wed, 21 Jun 2017 20:03:13 GMT", "content-type"=>"application/vnd.dwolla.v1.hal+json", "content-length"=>"172", "connection"=>"close", "set-cookie"=>"__cfduid=d1b6747daae769ad60f7d95b4262138a21498075392; expires=Thu, 21-Jun-18 20:03:12 GMT; path=/; domain=.dwolla.com; HttpOnly", "x-request-id"=>"0b3cc8e3-b854-4f51-89b9-9f64d2bc6829", "server"=>"cloudflare-nginx", "cf-ray"=>"372991e5c94f5e52-TPA"} {"_links"=>{"self"=>{"href"=>"https://api-sandbox.dwolla.com/sandbox-simulations", "type"=>"application/vnd.dwolla.v1.hal+json", "resource-type"=>"sandbox-simulation"}}, "total"=>1}>

No idea what total: 1 is referring to, though.

(Jared Dellitt) #6

@timcheadle, it looks like the processing is working as expected, but since you sent to an email address the transaction will stay pending until the receiver signs up to accept the payment.

Unfortunately due to restrictions in our sandbox, we don’t send emails to email addresses that are not sandbox accounts, which admittedly makes testing your flow very difficult. We’re looking into a solution at the moment that would send the receiver’s email to the sender, but with all of the required information for signing up/accepting the payment as the receiver.

(Tim Cheadle) #7

@jared Got it. Is the answer to create another sandbox account with a different email address that I use to test transfers?

What about the emails that are sent out; will those look different if the recipient already has a sandbox account?

(Jared Dellitt) #8

You are correct in that Dwolla will think it’s an actual account and won’t send them the correct email. We have a fix in the works - what I mentioned earlier. The sender will just get the receiver’s email in this scenario when running in the sandbox. I’m hopeful we can get it deployed this afternoon.

(Tim Cheadle) #9

Cool.

Will this fix address the issue of the transfers not processing? I was able to get one to process in the past, but now my transfers are just sitting “Pending” regardless of what I do with the simulations endpoint

(Jared Dellitt) #10

Hey @timcheadle, we rolled out the changes to the email flow so you should be good to continue testing. Yes, this should solve your processing problem. The transfers that I’m assuming stay pending are those sent to the email address, which will stay that way until either reclaimed, cancelled or the user signs up (which you should now be able to do).

(Tim Cheadle) #11

Fantastic; I’ll test this ASAP today.

(Tim Cheadle) #12

@jared I just created two new transfers, both using the Dwolla balance as a funding source, delivering to a mailto: destination.

One uses an email address that has a real Dwolla account, the other uses a different email address that doesn’t have an account.

Both are still showing up as “pending”, and I haven’t seen any email come through. Hitting sandbox-simulations doesn’t change anything.

What’s next?

(Jared Dellitt) #13

Does the email address have an account in the sandbox? Looking at your account it seems like both of them went to email addresses that are not known accounts.

Our system is also showing the emails went to the email address used in your sandbox account: faye@********.com