Unable to Add Alphanumeric Bank Account Number for a Receive Only User

Hello! We are attempting to create Receive Only users with a bank account with alphanumeric characters (e.g. 123456EMRG00) however we are getting this error “The account number is validated to check if it is a numeric string of 4-17 digits”. We verified NACHA allows alphanumeric characters in account numbers. Is there a work around for this?

Thanks for your help!

Hi @andrewhartman ,

We’re going to follow up with you on this thread here since it is a different issue from the last. Letting you know that we’re looking into this for you

Thanks, @kmoreira! Really appreciate your help here!

Hi @andrewhartman,

We spoke with both compliance and an engineer working on the api. For full disclosure, here is the info we retained from our compliance officer:

“The account number field should be alphameric, which means it can contain any of the following valid characters: 0-9, A-Z, a-z, space, EBCDIC values greater than hexadecimal “3F,” and ASCII values greater than hexadecimal “1F.”
(I can send you a link on those last two, not entirely sure off the top of my head what they are haha)
Here you go: http://ascii-table.com/ebcdic-table.php
ascii-table.com
ASCII Table - All ASCII codes and symbols with control characters explained, for easy reference - includes conversion tables, codepages and UNICODE, ANSI, EBCDIC and HTML codes
I think the most common one we may see would be a dash (”-"), some credit unions will have this for subaccounts. For example, my checking could be 12345-1 and my savings could be 12345-2."

We do need to update the API validation to be a little more lenient to accommodate the requirements outlined. I have created a ticket for this

@kmoreira That’s great to hear! Would you be able to provide a high level timeline that we could plan for? If short term (next few weeks) we can plan for it on our platform. If longer than that, we’ll need to plan a work around on our side. Thanks again!

Hi @andrewhartman , These issues typically have to go through our normal product feedback loop which takes a little bit of time. We’ll work with our Product team to discuss prioritization for this work and get back to you as soon as we can!