Mass Payment taking an expectedly long time to process payment items

Today I’ve made a call to create 4 Mass payments, wherein each mass payment has less than 20 items.
According to the API documentation, mass payment should be able to process each item in 0.5-1 second. As such, I was expecting the mass payment to finish creating payment items in a couple of minutes but the mass payments have been in pending status for a couple of hours now.

I was wondering if this is a common issue for the mass payment API and if there’s anything I can do on my end?

Thank you!
Tuan-Anh

Hi @Tuan-Anh_Le – would you be able to share the masspayment IDs for us to take a closer look? Also, to confirm, is this in the Production or Sandbox environment?

Generally, masspayments do not take hours to finish processing, and certainly not with a size as small as 20 items. With further details about the masspayment we can determine where the issue lies.

Hi @shreya ,

Thank you for getting in touch!

This is happening in Production environment. The mass payment IDs are
82a5cd36-01a2-498b-bc52-ade8010310fc
65e6f080-0b22-4e70-8fe1-ade801030930
62ffccfb-f6ca-47bc-8204-ade8010306ee
b69ba6d2-dc22-42a0-8590-ade8010304f5

I believe the last one has some success and some pending payment items, but the pending payment items have been stuck in that state for the last 40 minutes

Thank you for looking into this!

Thank you @Tuan-Anh_Le! Apologies for the trouble! I’ve notified out dev team about this. I will keep you updated on the issue with what we find!

1 Like

Hi @Tuan-Anh_Le – looks like there was a blip this morning which caused the masspayment to not run completely. One we ran the first masspayment, which had originally stopped processing midway, the other masspayments continued to process with normal speed. Again, I apologize for the hiccup! Please let us know if you find anything off!

Hi @shreya,

I’ve noticed that the mass payment all got processed just now as well. Thank you for rerunning the mass payment for me!

I’m curious if this blip is something that happen on our end or was it something in Dwolla’s internal process that caused this blip? And does it happen often?

I’m just worried about the potential scenario of the blip happening again in the future and wonder if there’s something we can do on our end to prevent this blip or at least handle it instead of reaching out for you guys.

Thanks for confirming, @Tuan-Anh_Le!

This was an internal issue that caused the masspayment to get stuck, and unfortunately needs to be handled manually by our internal team members. We do not see this issue occurring often. It just so happened that one of our daily jobs that runs in the morning around 6am CT ran late (around the same time that these masspayments were created). This caused a sliight contention between the two jobs.

Unfortunately, I’m afraid the only way to resolve this issue is to notify Dwolla and have us re-run the masspayment jobs. If you do run into a similar issue in the future, the fastest route to get a hold of one of our team members is through the shared Slack channel that we have for communications between Lumanu and Dwolla. Posting here in the forums also works!

Hope that’s helpful!

1 Like

I understand. Thank you for explaining to me the situation that caused the mass payment to fail!

I was not aware that we have a channel for communicating between Lumanu and Dwolla, I’ll make sure to use that in the future. Thank you so much again for your prompt response and help with resolving this issue!

Have a great rest of your day!

1 Like

You’re very welcome! Thank you for your kind consideration.

Hope you have a great day as well!