Reactivating a deactivated funding source

On our app, we would like to give the user the ability to “remove” a funding source, and deactivate the funding source in Dwolla. There’s clear documentation on this, and I was able to create this functionality without an issue.

However, I see an edge case that may happen: A user removes a funding source, and at a later date, would like to add it again. With our current implementation, this will throw an error in the dwolla client:

{ Error: {"code":"DuplicateResource","message":"Bank already exists: id=1234 ...

One of these solutions I think would work, however I don’t see any mention in the documentation how to do this:

1. “re-activate” an account for a dwolla customer. I see this in the docs:

When a funding source with an unverified status is removed, an attempt to re-add it within 48 hours of the initial created date will re-activate the removed funding source and maintain the same id .

However, in this case, the funding source is already verified. How can I reactivate a deactivated verified funding source? :thinking:

2. More ideally, I’d like to completely remove a funding source from a Dwolla customer, not just deactivate it. I realize this could cause issues with ongoing transfers, but we would adequately warn the user and perform validation to ensure there’s no current transfer. I also don’t see any way to do this.

Any input is appreciated, thanks!

Hi @dtj, Unfortunately we don’t currently offer functionality to deactivate or reactivate funding sources. Removal of a funding source would be a soft-delete and would require the user to go through the process of adding their bank account again within your app. If it was previously verified, it would need to undergo account verification again.

This error should only be thrown if the funding source is still activate and has yet to be removed from a Customer.

What I would likely recommend is sticking with the current remove a funding source method where the user would be required to submit their bank details again if they want to re-attach it to their account. I would be curious to learn more on the underlying problem you’re looking to solve?

Thanks @spencer

What I would likely recommend is sticking with the current remove a funding source method where the user would be required to submit their bank details again if they want to re-attach it to their account.

Yep, this is exactly what I’m looking to do.

This error should only be thrown if the funding source is still activate and has yet to be removed from a Customer.

That was also my understanding, but I’ve tested it extensively and this error occurs when the user tries to add an account that previously was deactivated. Perhaps this will only happen in sandbox, and not with real bank accounts? Or is this a specific issue with Plaid verification?

I would be curious to learn more on the underlying problem you’re looking to solve?

This is an app that will have occasional, very large payments. From the user’s perspective, they are giving us sensitive financial info, and would like the ability to “remove” their account from our platform, i.e not see it under “My Accounts” anymore. However, when the next occasional, large transfer needs to be sent, they may want to add back the same bank account they already removed. I would like this to happen seamlessly via the same Plaid > Dwolla method.

Let me know if there’s any more info I can provide

@spencer still having issues with this, we’re unable to re-verify and add a funding source that was previously deactivated, it throws an error. Could this be an issue that arises when using Plaid verification? Do you know of any possible solutions I could do on my end? Thanks.