Multiple users for one business-verified-customer

Is it possible for multiple users to transact on behalf of one business-verified-customer? Currently it seems like there is only one user for each business and that the data model on Dwolla’s backend mixes the business information (EIN/Legal Business name) with the user (Birthdate, SSN, Email, etc…). In a very typical business use case, a single business entity (EIN) will have multiple users who can transact on behalf of the entity.

• How can we have multiple users with verified access to one business-verified-customer?
  • How can you add a user to an existing business-verified-customer? Do they get validated as well?
  • Since we are doing our own validation on the business entity / business admins as we create accounts for our users, we would like that to be mirrored on the Dwolla side. i.e., if we validate a business EIN / owner, we don’t want the user being in charge of submitting data that may be wrong – OR a second or third user creating a new business when an existing business already exists. Can we create the business-verified-customer on our server side with the business information, and then let the users go through the upgrade/validation process without letting them change the business EIN/legal name, etc…

Hi @grogreener – We only require that the person creating the Business Verified customer account enter their FirstName and LastName as the Admin of the account. We do not validate the Admin’s information. Therefore, you can certainly have multiple users from the business access their Dwolla Customer information via your application. This would have to build out on your end though.

I’m afraid the Drop-ins components do not support pre-populating read only values in the forms. You can pre-populate values that don’t already exist, but the user will be able to change them. If you are planning on submitting the Business’ information on their behalf, then you may want to use the API directly to submit that information to Dwolla. However, that does mean that you will have to handle the retry and document stages accordingly.

Hope this helps! Let us know if you have any questions!

Is there any significance to the Admin user? If multiple users have access to the same business-verified-customer, does Dwolla care about different users performing actions on behalf of that customers / keep track of which user did what?

Can multiple users create their own versions of business-verified-customers with the same EIN / legal name? i.e. resulting in having multiple business-verfied-customers with the same EIN in my Dwolla application?

If we add a bank account using a Plaid integration, is the bank account’s information verified against the business name / entity? i.e., can a user add any bank account from any owner underneath a business-verified-customer – even if the EIN’s or business names don’t match?

I guess along this same thread – what validation (if any) does Dwolla do on the user, the entity, the controller, and the funding source?

Is there any significance to the Admin user? If multiple users have access to the same business-verified-customer, does Dwolla care about different users performing actions on behalf of that customers / keep track of which user did what?

The Admin user the Account Admin or individual signing up on behalf of the business verified Customer which can be used for your records. We do not need to keep track of the users taking actions with the Business Verified Customer.

Can multiple users create their own versions of business-verified-customers with the same EIN / legal name? i.e. resulting in having multiple business-verfied-customers with the same EIN in my Dwolla application?

Yes – they can create multiple Business Verified Customers for the same business with the same EIN / legal name. However, the email used to sign up must be unique. If you’d like to use the same email address across the multiple accounts for that business, you could use an email alias, like so,

shreya+usera@dwolla.com
shreya+userb@dwolla.com

If we add a bank account using a Plaid integration, is the bank account’s information verified against the business name / entity? i.e., can a user add any bank account from any owner underneath a business-verified-customer – even if the EIN’s or business names don’t match?

Dwolla does not validate that the bank account belongs to the business or the user signing up. The verification of the bank account is only concerned with verifying that the bank account exists and is legit.

what validation (if any) does Dwolla do on the user, the entity, the controller, and the funding source?

The user (Admin) isn’t validated. The entity, the Controller and any Beneficial Owners all go through verification of identity separately. You can find more information on our verification procedure here - https://www.dwolla.com/updates/importance-of-customer-verification-program/

The verification of banks validates that the bank is legitimate. More information on the different verification methods can be found here - Bank Funding Source | Dwolla API Documentation

Some more helpful links:
https://developers.dwolla.com/guides/business-verified-customer/handle-verification-statuses#step-2-handling-business-verified-customer-statuses